Easter Sunday was an extra-special day for me.
I went to church and got baptised.
I was not baptised as a baby, because my parents believed it should be a choice.
A week or so earlier, the minister had asked me if I would also give my testimony during the service. I thought long and hard over what to say, and eventually just decided to tell my story.
For some reason, I have always known, that I would be asked to tell my story one day. I knew that this was something that God wanted me to do, and that someone, somewhere, in the audience, needed to hear what I had to say.
The church was packed to the rafters. It was a standing room only. Literally.
I felt emotional, but not nervous. I was completely certain that God was right there next to me, telling me to use the gift that he had given me. I have only become aware of this gift in the last couple of years - being a good public-speaker.
By the time I reached the end of my testimony, I was in tears, and so was everyone else, including the minister. I know in my heart, that God was there that day, using me to speak to others, and I feel so very humbled that He saw fit to do that.
It was such a happy day. I had already given my life to God, but the feeling that I needed to be baptised has been prodding at me for a couple of years now.
The minister explained to me, that I wasn't being baptised into The Uniting Church. I was being baptised into God's church.
I feel like this is another step in my long-and-windy spiritual journey. It is a step taken in faith.
I know that God has many plans for me. This year, I was voted to be the Sunday School teacher, and I was so cheered when I saw all my Sunday school kids, sitting in the front row, to see me get baptised.
I was also chosen to become a lay-preacher, and asked to do my first service later this year.
It is such an exciting time for me. I feel that I am just starting to learn about the purpose that God has for my life. It may not be the one that I would have chosen for myself, but I hope I will always be willing and enthusiastic, and give nothing less than my best.
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment